Unlimited 40 was designed to appreciate and admire Magic the Gathering's first white bordered set.
It is intended to be esthetically appealing, while at the same time providing interesting and challenging gameplay. The power level of the format is regulated by restricting cards in different groupings, and allowing players to select from these groups when deck-building.
- All cards in a legal deck must be from second edition (Unlimited). Deck testing or casual play may be conducted with whatever cards are available, but any structured play or tournaments must have decks constructed with second edition cards only.
Deck Construction Rules:
- Decks must contain a minimum of 40 cards
- No maximum deck size
- No sideboard
- Modern rulings and card text unless the have errata (see below)
- All cards are restricted to 3 unless otherwise restricted (see below)
- To take a mulligan, a player shuffles the cards in their hand back into their library, draws a new hand of cards equal to their starting hand size, then puts a number of those cards equal to the number of times that player has taken a mulligan on the bottom of their library in any order.
- If both players mulligan their hand then they may both put 0 cards on the bottom of their library, upon mutual agreement.
- Chaos Orb has the following errata: "Pay 1, Tap: Choose a permanent on the battlefield. Flip Chaos Orb onto the battlefield from a height of at least 12 inches. If Chaos Orb flips over completely during the flip, and lands resting on the permanent chosen, destroy that permanent, and then destroy Chaos Orb.
- Ante Cards have the following rule change: Any time a card would be given up as Ante, it is instead exiled until the end of the match (set of three games). These cards return to their owners possession at the end of the match.
You may select cards from the following groupings.
- One card from group A (Draw)
- Two cards from group B (Good Stuff)
- Two cards from group C (Fast Mana)
- Three cards from group D (Dual Lands)
- Exceptions to these rules are denoted on the individual card by an (*).
A. Draw (Pick 1):
- Contract from Below* (If selected, you may not select cards from group B, C, or D)
- Ancestral Recall* (If selected, you may not select cards from group B)
- Wheel of Fortune
- Jayemdae Tome
B. Good Stuff (Pick 2):
- Mind Twist* (If selected you are restricted to one selection from this list and you may not select cards from group D)
- Chaos Orb
- Time Vault
- Time Walk
- Demonic Tutor
C. Fast Mana (Pick 2):
- Black Lotus* (If selected you are restricted to one selection from this list)
- Sol Ring
- Mox Emerald
- Mox Jet
- Mox Pearl
- Mox Ruby
- Mox Sapphire
D. Dual Lands (Pick 3):
- Volcanic Island
- Underground Sea
- Tropical Island